Artificial grass has recently gained popularity as a low-maintenance alternative to natural grass. It offers the look and feel of real grass without constant watering, mowing, or fertilizing.
Can I lay artificial grass on soil? If you’re considering laying artificial grass on soil, you must follow a few important steps to ensure a successful installation. In this article, we will guide you through the process, providing valuable insights and tips along the way.
If you’re ready to create a stunning, low-maintenance outdoor space, keep reading for the essential information you need to know about laying artificial grass on the soil. Get ready to transform your backyard into a beautiful oasis!
Can I Lay Artificial Grass on the Soil? Consider These Important Steps
Artificial grass provides a green and attractive landscape all year round. Many homeowners and landscape enthusiasts ask whether laying artificial grass directly on the soil is possible, but follow a few steps to ensure a successful installation.
Prepare the Base
Proper preparation of the designated area for your new artificial grass installation is crucial to ensure its success. The area must be clear of any organic debris before proceeding with the installation.
Begin by removing all existing organic matter from the area to a depth of 80mm. This will create a clean surface for further steps. For areas intended for car parking, we advise digging out a minimum of 110mm and filling it up with at least 100mm of blue metal dust, also known as cracker dust.
You can obtain this material from your local landscape supplier. Compacting the surface before filling the area with cracker dust is recommended.
- Consider applying weed killer to the site and along the edges to minimize the chances of organic matter reappearing.
- Make sure to cap any sprinklers and test for water leaks before installation.
Install the Base Foundation
To begin, spread blue metal dust evenly across the designated area. Then, apply water to dampen the dust and ensure proper compaction.
- Compacting the base at least two times is recommended for optimal results.
- Before proceeding to the next step, ensure the site is perfectly level. Utilize levels and screeding tools to achieve the desired level.
- Before installing the artificial/synthetic turf, leave the base level approximately 15-20mm lower than any adjacent paving or concrete edges. This adjustment will ensure a seamless transition between different surfaces.
Install the Turf
Place the turf onto the designated area and cut it to an approximate size, leaving approximately 50mm of extra turf around the edges. If you plan to use joining tape, position it beneath the turf sections to be joined. Make sure to create a secure joint, and then use pins to secure the joints and edges.
- Unrolling the turf and letting it sit on-site overnight before installation is recommended for optimal results.
- Choose the coolest part of the day to make the joint and trim the edges.
- When laying out the full pieces of artificial turf, ensure that the grain or direction of the fibers is consistent throughout the installation.
- Place pins along the joints at intervals of at least 100mm and along the edges at intervals of at least 500mm.
- Be cautious not to trap the turf blades beneath the pins.
Infill Sand on the Turf
Apply kiln-dried silica sand onto the synthetic turf to infill it. This guarantees that the sand is completely organic matter-free. Use a firm brush or broom to brush the sand against the turf pile. Afterward, distribute water over the turf to tidy up the surroundings.
- Ensure a minimum of 10kg of silica sand per square meter.
- Consider using a blower to remove excess silica sand in specific areas.
What is the Best Base for Artificial Grass?
For optimal artificial turf installations, it is recommended to use crushed drain rock ranging from ¾” to ¼” in size as the base material. These rocks can typically be obtained from local gravel pits or rock yards. It is advised to avoid using pea gravel as it does not compact effectively.
Alternatively, decomposed granite, crusher fine gravel, and class 2 aggregates are all suitable options. The primary purpose of the base material is to ensure proper drainage and create a level surface. It can efficiently drain up to 30 inches of water per hour.
Homeowners and pet facilities have reported enhanced drainage of dog urine and reduced odor issues by utilizing a ¾” rock base.
What Can I Put Under Artificial Grass For My Dog?
If you have a furry friend using artificial grass, it’s also important to consider their needs. To create a comfortable and hygienic environment for your dog, you can use a layer of shock-absorbing material beneath the artificial grass, such as rubberized underlay or foam padding. This will provide your pet with a softer surface and help minimize the risk of injuries.
What is the Best Time of Year to Lay Turf?
While artificial grass can be installed at any time of the year, the best time to lay turf is during the spring or autumn seasons. The weather is typically milder during these times, allowing for better installation conditions. However, with proper precautions, artificial grass can be installed successfully in any season.
How Long Will Artificial Grass Last?
The lifespan of artificial grass depends on various factors, including the quality of the turf, the level of usage, and the maintenance routine. On average, high-quality artificial grass can last anywhere from 15 to 25 years, providing years of lush greenery and functionality for your outdoor space.
The Versatility of New Wave Flooring Artificial Turf
New Wave Flooring artificial turf offers unparalleled versatility for various applications. Its durable and realistic design provides a natural-looking and comfortable surface for residential landscapes, sports fields, playgrounds, or commercial spaces.
With its UV-resistant properties, it can withstand harsh weather conditions and maintain its vibrant color. The low-maintenance nature of the turf makes it an ideal choice, requiring minimal upkeep and eliminating the need for watering or mowing.
New Wave Flooring artificial turf offers a versatile solution that combines aesthetics, durability, and practicality for various indoor and outdoor settings.